Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Published: May 22, 2007
ISBN: 978-1594489501
Number of Pages: 372
Price (USD): $25.95
Genre: Fiction

A Thousand Splendid Suns is a splendid soulful read. It is an incredible, heart-wrenching story of Afghan history, unyielding love, faith and especially sisterhood. 

The story revolves around Mariam and Laila, two female protagonist who are born generations apart. Story is divided into four parts, with a focus on Mariam in the first part, continuing with Laila in the second and fourth, and the relationship between the two women in the third part.

Mariam and Laila are brought up in very different set up.
Mariam was illegitimate child. She lived in outskirts of Herat with her embittered mother.

Laila was an apple of her dad’s eye. Growing up in Kabul, she was close friends with a boy living in her neighborhood. They eventually developed a romantic relationship despite being aware of the social boundaries between men and women in Afghan society. But the war took everything away from Laila.

Mariam and Laila were brought together by war, loss and fate. Laila was taken in by Mariam’s husband, Rasheed. First Mariam envied and disliked Laila as she noticed Laila being treated as queen of the house by her husband. But eventually, as time passed, unusual circumstances brought them closer. They both became best friends. They shared the bond of the sisterhood as you might have not heard before.

I loved the book so much that I would love to read it one more time if time permits.
  1. Once you start reading this book, you won't want to put it down
  2. Not a light reading at all
  3. A lot of violence and heavy reading
  4. Superbly written
  • While reading this whole book there were moments when I cried (a real cry) reading about the way women in Afghan were treated by men like Rasheed. As mush as I felt sad for those women, I felt even more thankful about the life that I get to live and enjoy.

  • It moved me knowing that even in male dominated Afghan, nice men like Laila’s dad existed. Laila’s dad said to her, “‎I know you're still young but I want you to understand and learn this now. Marriage can wait, education cannot. You're a very bright girl. Truly you are. You can be anything you want Laila. I know this about you. And I also know that when this war is over Afghanistan is going to need you as much as its men maybe even more. Because a society has no chance of success if its women are uneducated Laila. No chance.” I loved the father-daughter relationship Laila and her father shared. In spite of all odds of society, her father always supported her, encouraged her to study. At the end of the book, after many years of her father’s loss, when war was finished, Laila came forward and gave it for the community, for the orphanage, as a tribute to wonderful parents that she had.

  • I was also touched by the part of the book where Laila’s love comes back in her life and he accepts her happily irrespective of she already being married to Rasheed and being mother of his child. Khaled Hosseini nailed it. This is only possible by unyielding, indestructible and true love that they both shared.

  • Last, but not the least, the sacrifice that Mariam made for Laila and her kids was unbeatable. Even though life had always been unkind to Mariam, she didn’t shy away from being kind to Laila. Laila and her kids became Mariam’s family and life. Mariam took care of Laila like mother when it came to protecting her. She became Laila’s friend when it came to confiding in each other. The bond that these women built over the cup of tea and Halwa was amazing. Their relationship depicts perfect example of sisterhood that doesn't rely on age or blood relationship. Being kind and compassionate, that is all it matters at the end
If you have not read this book, please read it. Trust me you won’t be disappointed.


I'm taking part in the Write Tribe Festival of Words -3

26 comments:

  1. I judge books by their ability to make me cry or laugh. So, your review tells me I probably need tissues and to buy this book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure Carrie you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read this one a few years ago and loved it!! I have his most recent book waiting to be read. Have you read that yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an emotional journey which is what I look for in a book. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have heard so much about this book. Cannot believe I haven't read it yet! Your review just made me more eager to get it now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the review so much that I Have to read this now. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read this book before, and I've loved Hosseini for this. A must read. And so much to cry for.
    @ Shailaja and Tina, please do read soon.
    PDF is available for download online , FYI :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love Hosseini. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will certainly read it as early as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not read this one but yes the other one kite runner is one of my all time favs!

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first book of Hosseini. I have heard very good things about kite runner. Need to read that.

      Delete
  11. I've read that one and agree with you all the way. The violence is a little bit of a turn off but other than that it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard so much about this book, your review says I should pick it up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it gives a balanced view of history....I love this kind of historical novel. Will take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of his best books (I love all three) and just a beautiful novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not read any of his works though they are extremely popular. Should try soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your review of this book is so much better than mine :-) Great review indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for kind words. I read your review of this book and I loved your review. I like the way you end your review, "This is not just a book you read. This is a book which you take with you, a book which you assimilate into every pore of your being. A book which stays with you long after you have finished reading it."

      Delete
  17. I've enjoyed and cherished all of Khaled Hosseini's books.
    I enjoyed reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.
    Your review reflects what I felt about the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a brilliant book and thought-provoking read by Khaled Hosseini:)

    ReplyDelete