Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bring it, it’s free…

After living in Michigan for 10 years, we recently moved to Jacksonville, FL. Since the move the first four weeks, I hardly got to go out and meet people. All I did was unpack, unpack and unpack some more. In short, in those four weeks I didn't get to interact much with people other than my family. No matter how much I love to interact with my dear hubby, it was the time to see some other faces J
So I found myself a new work assignment. I was excited to start working again and see new faces. But at my workplace, I saw a strange behavior. No one smiled.

First I thought, “I am new so people don't want to smile back at me”. Gradually as few weeks passed by and nothing changed, I started thinking, “May be this is Florida thing.” “May be people in Florida are not as welcoming as folks back in Michigan; they don't reply back your smile” But that turned out wrong too since few of them started to smile back at me.

Now my restless mind wanted to find out the real reason why these other folks  do not smile at all. I kept looking for unsaid clues. Eventually, I noticed a strange phenomenon. Most of the folks in leadership at my workplace never smile. Could that be the reason why most of my coworkers don’t smile either? May be, the leadership team passes down the scowled look to their dearest employees. And in turn...nobody smiles (well, except a few).

When I look at these leadership folks and think about they not smiling, even when you crack a joke (yes one time I cracked a joke in front of one of the leadership members and he didn’t have a slight curve on his face). I feel sad for these members.  Most of them are in their late thirties and early forties. I am sure they have tons of reasons to smile, that is if they think about it...beautiful family, kids (seen pictures in their cubicles), lucrative pay and I am sure many other perks. But, it seems like the stress of the job is taking a toll on them.

People who are under stress need a chuckle more than anybody else. Ironically, they are the ones who don’t laugh. Most of us lose that laughing kid in us with responsibilities. But we must take a time to bring that kid in us back, every once in a while. Work is never ending and so is the stress in life. We can reduce this stress by talking to people around us, by smiling at others, by having that one care free chuckle that will make you forget worries of the day.

“Is it that hard to smile?” I ask. Come on people, bring it on, it’s free…and offers loads of benefits!!

Remember Charlie Chaplin - "Smile and maybe tomorrow you'll see the sun come shining through for you."


No comments:

Post a Comment