Saturday, May 3, 2014

Silly Things, Give Kids Greatest Zing

I was going through my diary yesterday. I stumbled on this incident that I noted about a year ago, when we were in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Immediately I thought to blog it to have it in my records for ever, never know when I will lose that diary. Can't wait to watch my daughter’s expression after she reads this blog post.

A Year Ago


“What?” with wide open mouth, was my reaction when I looked at my daughter’s feet on one Tuesday morning. Each of her leg sporting different color and pattern socks very confidently.

“Are you sure? Your friends might laugh at you”, I asked. I wanted to confirm that she was 100% sure to do it. That way she would take the mocks sportingly, if at all, from her friends.

She shrugged her shoulder, twitched her lower lip, smiled and froze in the place with that gesture for few seconds. I had no other choice than smile in my mind.

I said, “Ok Ok.. hurry up now, wear your shoes,  otherwise you will miss the bus”.
As soon as she turned around to go to wear her shoes, I had wide smile on my face.
By the end of that week, all the girls of her class started wearing mismatched socks.

Do we realize, these small things, that we think are weird, give immense pleasure to kids?
About six years back, I wouldn’t have let her do that. Then I would have thought, “What will people say if they see she is wearing different color socks, not matching pant and top”.
But lately I have learned to let go of those things and realized that these small and silly things matter to kids a lot. It’s for them and not for us. 
Moreover, whenever my husband dresses them up, I have even stop thinking about getting embarrassed anymore, because mismatch of clothes is ought to happen. No kidding J

Silly things
Give kids greatest zing
Please, for once, let it spring
Then hear kids’ laugh like ting-a-ling

4 comments:

  1. How time Flys and how small things gives us joy or sorrow when we interpret them in either way.
    When she chose to not let mismatch socks mock her she created a trend. Be a trend setter..... power to being different and making your own path in life. ...don't conform. ... make your own destiny.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making your own path in life that is what I want to teach her. Rina, I like the way you said don't conform

      Delete
  2. OMG, this is happening in my house too. Krish insists on wearing mismatched socks every day. Manish once picked him from school and thought I made a mistake in the morning hurry. but Now we comply every time, he asks to wear mismatched items. We tell him, this was a great choice and he looks super handsome :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. zzz: I guess to comply is the best way to deal with it. Moreover this phase doesn't last longer as any other phases. So enjoy while it lasts.

      Delete